Malignancies that grow in the brain due to uncontrolled cell development. In the medical world it is more referred to as a brain tumor than a brain cancer.
Types of Brain Tumors
1. Based on the origin of the tumor:
- Primary Brain Tumors: the source of malignancy comes from brain cells
- Secondary Brain Tumors / metastases: the source of malignancy comes from other body parts
- Types of brain tumors
2. Based on its violence:
- Benign Tumors: Brain tumors that develop slowly, rarely recur. Example of meningioma
- Malignant tumors: brain tumors grow quickly, easily recur even after treatment, and tumors are in vital areas in the brain. Example: Glioma
Symptoms of a brain tumor
Be aware and immediately do a medical examination, if you experience the following symptoms:
- Headaches are getting heavier over time
- Blurry or double vision
- Changes in behavior or memory
- Changes in walking and balance
- Sleepiness / sleep disturbance
Watch out for brain tumors with BRAIN
- Treat if there is headache
- Regularly exercise
- Observe for behavior change
- Visit a neurologist if the complaint is burdensome
Diagnosis of brain tumors
- Special nerve examination with Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Machine
- For removal of a small portion of brain tissue for examination under a microscope. Biopsy can be done as part of tumor removal surgery
- Brain fluid cytology
Treatment of brain tumors
- Symptomatic, which is a treatment to deal with complaints arising from brain tumors, such as: headaches, seizures, loss, awareness, or pain in other parts
- Curative, i.e. by doing:
- Surgery or surgery. Performed by a neurosurgeon. With the aim of reducing the symptoms of tumor urging, knowing the type of tumor, determining treatment and determining life expectancy.
- Radiotherapy. Using radiation energy to kill cancer cells and reduce tumor size. This method can be used if surgery (surgery) is considered ineffective.
- Given depending on the type of tumor and on certain circumstances. Can be given orally, intravenously or through brain fluid
- Palliative Therapy due to tumor complications & treatment, namely therapy to overcome post-treatment complaints and complications due to brain tumors, both physical and psychological with the help of psychiatry.
Brain tumor presentation paper in the Training of Speakers event as a series of WORLD CANCER DAY 2019 organized by KPKN, Ministry of Health RI, RSCM, FKUI
Brain Tumor brochure from the Indonesian Ministry of Health’s KPKN.